Learning Design Manager
Socratic Arts is looking for a Learning Design Manager, to work, on a contract basis, ~40 hours / week, remotely, from anywhere in the U.S.
Socratic Arts designs and builds robust simulation and story-based learning solutions (both live and computer-hybrid) for Fortune 100 and university clients. We deliver deeply engaging and complex learning programs that offer hands-on practice, expert coaching, and just-in-time performance support. We build and use cutting-edge technology and deliver solutions that include features like original video enactments, real-time performance metrics, and adaptive simulations based on learner actions, as well as courseware that leverages live mentors coaching in the context of a realistic scenario.
The Learning Design Manager (LDM) collaborates with the Learning Design Director (LDD), client stakeholders, and subject matter experts in creating and specifying a program's design and then manages the content/production team in executing that design, typically shepherding the project through client stakeholder reviews, a pilot, and implementation.
Specifically, the LDM:
- Executes the instructional design
- Works with an LDD and client to define business goals, performance objectives, and design approach
- Captures the design in meeting notes and design documentation
- Works with subject matter experts, stakeholders, and production team to execute design during development
- Manages project and client relationships
- Plans and tracks timeline, work plan, and resource hours, develops and delivers status reports, and manages scope and budget throughout the project
- Communicates regularly with clients and internal parties on all project matters
- Ensures an excellent client experience
- Oversees content development
- Directs and supervises workflow, ensuring timeliness and quality of deliverables
- Develops content and/or reviews and edits content created by content developers
- Proofreads (and sometimes develops, copyedits, and line edits) client deliverables
- Provides regular reviews and feedback to team members
Skills and Abilities
Successful candidates will have a professional approach to client relationships, outstanding communication and project management skills, a knack for learning-experience design, excellent writing chops, and a curiosity and confidence about learning unfamiliar subject matter.
Socratic Arts is a completely virtual company; you'll telecommute from your own workspace. Experience collaborating in a virtual environment and insight into the skills required to successfully manage a long-distance project are a plus. Some travel is often required.
Specifically, the LDM must exhibit the following:
- Very strong editorial, writing, and analytical skills adapted specifically to educational, training, or consultative business environments
- Exceptional professional communication skills to develop and maintain client relationship and facilitate overall project success
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills (especially critical given the virtual team environment)
- Strong organizational skills (fundamental to leading a team efficiently and collaboratively under tight deadlines with minimal supervision)
- Aptitude and desire to learn unfamiliar subject matter relevant to training needs
- Attention to detail
- Aptitude and desire to learn new technologies
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Word, PPT, and Excel
- Significant Content Development/Business Writing experience, including:
- Articulating and documenting learning objectives and design specifications
- Creating original content according to project specifications
- Editing content developed by others
- Soliciting and incorporating feedback from stakeholders
- Significant Project and/or Management experience, including:
- Track record of planning and meeting project milestones on time, within scope and budget
- Day-to-day management of team members and/or interaction with both internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree required
Commensurate with experience, qualifications, and recommendations. Please include your compensation requirements with your submission. Candidates must reside in the US and be available to work remotely during regular business hours. Some travel required, depending on project.
Please submit cover letter, resume (with work location and contact information), business writing sample, and compensation requirements (see above). Please do not contact individuals in the organization directly. Please send inquiries to email@example.com.
Back to Main Careers Page